The most well known researcher was a man named Robert Monroe, who developed the technique for astral projection. Below are his instructions for attaining astral projection:
1) In a comfortable, dark, quiet room, lie down in a comfortable position with your head pointed to the north. Do not wear jewelry and wear loose, comfortable clothing.
2) Relax and quiet your mind and your body. be sure to close your eyes and breath deeply, in a steady rhythm with your mouth open a little.
3) Focus on an imaginary image as you fall asleep.
4) When you reach the area that lies between sleep and awake, you need to, at that time, increase your concentration on the area out past the back sides of your eyelids.
5) It is at this time you must start the "vibrations" that enable astral projection. Concentrate on a place a foot in front of you, then slowly extend that distance to six feet. Draw an imaginary line from you to the place.
6) At this time you should begin to feel vibratory waves. You now need to bring the waves down into your head and into you body. It is these waves which are said to loosen the spirit from the body.
7) Once your body is filled with waves you can now leave your body. You have to want to though. If you have fear about leaving you will not leave. You must think about how nice it would feel to float up above the bed just a few feet. If you still feel comfortable you can then go astral traveling.
To get back to your body you just think about re-uniting the
two elements of yourself:
Your spirit and your body.